slow reportwriter

From: Mark Citron <mcitron_at_hsc.usc.edu>
Date: 3 Jan 1995 15:55:09 -0800

I have a report written in reportwriter that has 12 subqueries but nothing unusual (master detail stuff). It retrieves 23 records and runs against Oracle 6.0.37 on SCO Unix.

  1. If I direct the reportwriter output to the screen it takes about 20 seconds to bring up the first record and less than one second to display each succeeding record.
  2. HOWEVER, if I direct the output to a file it takes about 25 MINUTES to complete the query.

All this is going on from WITHIN reportwriter. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark Citron
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
mark_at_neurosci.usc.edu