Re: HelP, PLEASE ! Forms 3.0.16 (Dos)

From: Alex Long <paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 08:03:01 GMT

Hi Chandru,

  In article <1994Dec30.151631.25780_at_wmichgw>, x93aroor_at_wmich.edu (x93aroor_at_wmich.edu) writes: >
>I have a field which fires a trigger (field trigger on-validated-field) when
>the initials are entered. It does this by checking to see it the entered
>initials is present in another table.

Have you considered a POST-CHANGE trigger where you check for the presence of the initials in the other table, say...

BEGIN
SELECT INITIALS INTO :BLOCK.DUMMY
FROM INITIALS
WHERE INITIALS = :BLOCK.INITIALS
/
 EXCEPTION WHEN NO_DAT_FOUND THEN
MESSAGE('Illegal Initials!')
/
RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE
/
END; The trigger will not be affected by any wrong initals being entered as a query.

>Things are fine in so far as I just keep entering data (records).
>Now if I wish to review all the records having the same initial (so I can
>make changes to some of the other fields) I try using the "enter query" key
>while at the Emp. Initial field. I would expect it to prompt me to enter my
>query etc. Instead it says "invalid initials", i.e it fires the trigger.
>
>Do I have to write a seperate trigger for "enter query"?
>-Chandru Aroor
>x93aroor_at_wmich.edu

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Alex Long
paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au Received on Sat Dec 31 1994 - 09:03:01 CET

Original text of this message