Re: Trigger Problem.

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 21:19:35 +0000

In article <3ckvvi$ait_at_master.di.fc.ul.pt>

           barreto_at_master.di.fc.ul.pt "Joao Barreto Fernandes" writes:

> I have a table where I let other people insert and update ( this is
> done under a course in database systems - it is only meaningful if thinking
> it as pedagogical) rows. Nevertheless I want to use the same table as a place
> where i account their moves. i.e. for each insert, update or delete people do
> I insert "another" row using certain fields to indicate theis action. If this
> makes sense doesn't matter. What matters is that Oracle doesn't let me insert
> another row than the one that triggered the trigger. It says that the table is
> mutating.

It sounds to me as if you are trying to read the table that is firing the trigger (e.g. insert into this_table select from this_table). There should be no problems with a trigger inserting into its own table (so long as the inserted row doesn't fire the trigger ...) .

--
Jonathan Lewis