Re: Powersoft to drop Oracle support?

From: Richard Finkelstein <finkel_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 23:20:05

In article <3dcmj5$v_at_news2.delphi.com> KCDS_at_news.delphi.com (KCDS_at_DELPHI.COM) writes:
>From: KCDS_at_news.delphi.com (KCDS_at_DELPHI.COM)
>Subject: Powersoft to drop Oracle support?
>Date: 22 Dec 1994 15:12:21 -0500
>I am rather concerned by this - Oracle users represent something like 30%
>of Powersoft's customer base. Are they dropping hints that they are
>going to abandon their Oracle customers, or worse still are they going to
>try and sell us Sybase (ugh!)?

>Or perhaps they think that Oracle's new generation of tools is too
>difficult to compete against :-) ..

>Signed,

>A concerned (ex?)user of PowerBuilder against Oracle databases ...

I think it is very probably that at best Powerbuilder support will deteriorate rather quickly. Not so much because Sybase wants to drop support - they would love to have Powersoft (read Sybase) salespersons roaming around Oracle customer sites. The issue is that Oracle is much too smart a company to allow Trojan horses into their customer sites. I good example of this is when Sybase purchase SQR report writer. Oracle refused to support Sybase SQR and Sybase was forced to sell SQR Oracle rights to MITI. Now MITI fully owns SQR. I expect the same thing to happen with Powersoft. I also think that Oracle will begin marketing its new Project X product aggressively against Powerbuilder - especially to its Oracle customers.

Regards,

Rich Received on Wed Dec 28 1994 - 23:20:05 CET

Original text of this message