Re: FORMS 4.0 and Motif on UNIX

From: George Sheppard <75574.3456_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 25 Dec 1994 05:40:55 GMT

Speaking from my experience on a SUN platform and on a DEC Alpha platform there is a way to run the same form in a character mode as well as a Motif mode. First of all the form has to be created using the Forms 4 designer or by converting a FORMS 3 form to FORMS 4. Unfortunately, the only Forms 4 designer that I know about is a Motif flavor executed by entering the command 'f40desm' (m - form Motif). The f40gen program program converts version 3 forms to version 4 forms.

        If you have a Forms 4 form and you want to run it in a character based mode execute it with a f40run command or if you want to run the same form in a X windows Motif flavor execute it with the f40runm command. If you cannot run the X window designer (f40desm) the design the form in Forms 3.0 the convert it to Forms 4 via f40gen. Note that if the forms designed using Forms 4 gui features will not have the same functionality when run in a character based environment.

	George Sheppard
	Technical Consultant, DCI
	sheppard_at_scca01.sidlinger.com