A separate newsgroup for applications issues?

From: Steve Bonine <spb_at_ntrs.com>
Date: 21 Dec 94 20:08:11 -0500

>> In article <D05x6A.K6x_at_ozemail.com.au> rwright_at_ozemail.com.au writes:
>> >
>> >Is anyone interested in the idea of a new group for Oracle appliactions
>> >eg Financials ?
>>
>> A newsgroup such as this would be helpful as I would then not have to wade
>> through a million messages about CASE or whatever.

I am the member of group-mentors who has volunteered to help with this proposal. Before we start actually drafting an RFD, I'd like some feedback from participants.

One of the options is to wait for the start of the mailing list mentioned in this thread and decide, based upon traffic there, whether a newsgroup is indeed appropriate. It's hard for me to gauge support here because I am not sure how much has rolled off my system; we keep only a week. If a mailing list is the best solution to this opportunity, a mailing list should be used.

Assuming that there is sufficient interest to support a newsgroup, I wonder if a specific newsgroup on Oracle applications is the way to go. Many commercial applications can be used with several different brands of database system; a newsgroup on issues related to applications which use database would perhaps be better. Or a newsgroup on relational database applications. If comp.databases.oracle.applications is established, pretty soon there will be comp.databases.informix.applications, .ingress.applications, .rdb.applications, and so on; there will be a lot of crossposting. Also, where there might be insufficient interest to sustain a newsgroup on just Oracle applications, combining issues related to database rather than limiting to one vendor might provide a more valuable discussion.

Comments? Received on Thu Dec 22 1994 - 02:08:11 CET

Original text of this message