Re: Accessing Oracle via ODBC; sample macros for Excel ?

From: Jeffery J. Hayward <jeff_at_ns.athenet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 08:34:57 -0600

Sorry I'm just posting this but email has bounced.

We use ODBC and Excel 5.0 for our Sales Force to pull results from Oracle tables. It is very simple procedure (assuming you have ODBC and SQL*NET UP and functional). Launch Excel, and under data menu choose Get External Data Source. This will launch MS Query and log you onto your Oracle Database via ODBC. Choose the table, columns, criteria etc. Under file choose Return Data to Excel. Its that easy. Now when the Oracle Data changes you just choose Refresh Data under the Data Menu. No need to login again, all that information is now stored in the document and the query is performed automagically!

BTW, the ODBC setup was pretty simple (IMHO), the only hang up I had was on machines using Sql*Net V2 and that was just having to put TNS:{SID} in the connect string. IMHO, ODBC and SQL*NET V2 as a link between Excel 5 and Oracle7 has been very robust and usable. My only bitter dissapointment is that even with a machine with 12 Mb of Memory I can't retrieve more than about 2,000 rows into an Excel Spreadsheet Pivot Table without getting an Out of Memory Error (No matter how much virtual memory I set).

-Jeff

  • Jeff Hayward, Network Administrator, Athenet Internet Services *
  • Office Phone: 414-954-9798 Fax: 414-738-7134 *