Re: Multi-Threaded Oracle Clients

From: Bob Stewart <bob_at_musem.earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Dec 1994 08:01:07 GMT

Andrew Grace (apgrace_at_jungle.bt.co.uk) wrote:
: Can an Oracle client run multi-threaded?

: In my client code, I want to connect to the database once, then
: execute a number of non-blocking DML actions, with each action running
: in its own thread?

: Can the oracle server cope with having more than one concurrent request
: from the same login context?

We tried to do something similar which Oracle Tech support didn't want to talk seriously about. We have a process connected which is a process monitor. As a real time partial transaction come in it needs to add it to a table, check the table for a complete transaction, and if complete do some other action. We chose to fork the processes off as workers, and got memory corruption errors, as each forked process was firmly convince it was already connected. We finally had to fork/exec. Seems like a waste of time, but that was where they left us.

--
If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely,
government corruption WILL be reduced by reducing government power. q.e.d.

Bob Stewart (KB9ZW)
wk USA (310) 335-7152