Re: optical disk

From: Amit singh <asingh_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 15:53:39

In article <3cs3rb$mpm_at_panix.com> gmr_at_panix.com (George Reichert) writes:
>From: gmr_at_panix.com (George Reichert)
>Subject: Re: optical disk
>Date: 16 Dec 1994 08:14:19 -0500

>In article <3cpsfq$mp_at_portal.gmu.edu>,
>Mohammed Ghouse <mghous1_at_mason1.gmu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Recently, we acquired a optical drive(from LMS) for our
>>HP. I am trying to get a 3rd party driver software
>>which configures the optical drive as a UNIX file system.
>>
>>Further , I want to use the optical disk as an Oracle tablespace.
>>Any leads with regard to the following?
>>
>> 1. Is there any product(there are many in the market) which you
>> have dealt with and can recommend?
>>
>> 2. I am particularly interested in Oracle performance.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

>Please post any responses back to this newsgroup. This is ant interesting
>subject.

There are a couple of companies that I am aware of that provide the software and optical storage to support this functionality - Epoch and Alphatronix. They might get the optical jukeboxes from other hardware vendors (like HP). They have pretty cool software for hierarchial storage management - automatically age file from raw to optical based on rules. As far as performance - its pretty much based on the speed of the optical device. An Oracle tablespace can transparently be accessing optical media rather than magnetic. This configuration would be great for storing images and documents.

Amit Singh Received on Fri Dec 16 1994 - 15:53:39 CET

Original text of this message