Re: Netware vs UNIX

From: Robert Hart <rhart_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 17:27:53 GMT

>In article <3blknh$e2o_at_newsie.wis.com>, scoverby_at_wis.com (scott m. overby)
 says:>>

>>Any opinions/experiences on using a Netware vs UNIX box for an Oracle server
>>for 50-150 users?
>>
>1 Netware allows only one instance of the Oracle database to run.
>2 Netware is not a true multitasking os (cooperative verses preemptive)

>PS. If you want something that will run run Oracle on an IPX network
>without Netware limitations take a look at Windows NT 3.5 running Oracle.

I was told that there is no sqlnet (spx) listener for the NT platform. The product there is SQLTCP. This may be changed with version 7.1 for NT due out in January but I haven't heard yet. I know that it is SQLNET version 2. ( This is a pain since I have to update 7 different sites to sqlnet 2)