right-to-left data entry (Hebrew, Arabic etc.)

From: Stephen H Fick <shf_at_world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 16:26:03 GMT

The group in which I work is planning to buy an RDB for use in storing a large collection of linguistic data from many written languages.

To work with the RDB, we hope to find a front end/data entry tool that accepts keyboard data entry of Hebrew, Arabic, etc., in right-to-left mode, when a column contains data from such "right to left" languages; yet, accepts keyboard data entry of English words in left-to-right mode, when another column in the same table, containing English words, forms part of a data entry/query screen.

This "mixed writing directions" functionality needs to be within the framework of an "English language prompts/messages" environment.

Can anyone point us to vendors of products that meet these requirements? Or come close? It's OK with us if the data entry tool comes from the RDB vendor, or from some other company. Comments or advice based on your experience would be welcomed.

(The RDB server will be a Sun SparcStation 1000/Solaris 2.x; the client seats, at which the data entry/query work occurs, will be MS Windows and probably some Sun Solaris 2.x seats. The RDB vendor is as yet undetermined; 6 companies in the running)

Thanks in advance.
-Steve Received on Thu Dec 08 1994 - 17:26:03 CET

Original text of this message