Re: Netware vs UNIX

From: DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM <(DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM)>
Date: 6 Dec 1994 00:21:48 -0000

As a UNIX user who just had very brief exposure to Netware, I can summarize my feelings on the two:

  1. I was shocked to find I could not execute batch jobs from the Netware console (when I thought about this, it made perfect sense; Novell is NOT a batch-oriented OS). I did discover you can purchase scheduler programs to execute jobs, similar to using UNIX cron.
  2. Netware seems (to me at least) to be much more complicated to get ORACLE to co-exist with. Some of this complexity may be due to my ignorance of Netware, though.
  3. There is a problem with memory fragmentation running ORACLE & Netware with RAM > 80 MG, we were running 172MG RAM and the system crashed constantly.
  4. ORACLE develops on Sun with UNIX OS. The product seems to be most stable in the environment in which it is developed; also, UNIX platforms generally are released first. I have no idea where Netware lays in the ORACLE release scheme of things.
  5. Beware of the product purchased!! There are two options: ORACLEWare and ORACLE for Netware. One is supported by ORACLE (which means you can actually get support) and the other is supported by Novell (which weans you have to purchase support for ORACLE). My client's head nearly exploded trying to sort out the difference.

Hope this helps.

Dagmar Anne Bogan

Kopania & Komorovski
Richardson, TX 75081 Received on Tue Dec 06 1994 - 01:21:48 CET

Original text of this message