dbshut (enhanced version available)

From: Petter Henrik Hansen <petter_at_fdmetd.UUCP>
Date: 5 Dec 94 08:48:07 GMT

Yeah, I had the same problems running shutdown/startup database. I experienced a lot of "funny" episodes.

What to do about it: Create my own solution.

This is how it works

dbshut_enhanced
1. Is the database down?

	Yes		No
	Exit		Use the shutdown command in background
			and wait a predefined time before going to #2.
2. Is the database down?
	Yes		No.
	Exit		Kill the shutdown command and try the shutdown
			immediate command in background. Wait a
			predefined time before going to #3.

3. Is the database down?
	Yes		No
	Exit		Kill the shutdown immediate command and try the
			shutdown abort command in background. Wait a
			predefined time before coing to #4.
4. Is the database down?
	Yes		No
	Exit		Ooops. Here we got a problem. Hmm. OK. I'll use
			the neanderthal method (a big club).
			kill -9 $oracle_processes.
			rm sgadef_file.
			remove oracle semaphores.
			remove oracle shared memory.
			This option may be chosen/unchosen when you
			start the dbshut_enhanced script.

The dbstart_enhanced script works about the same way but of course with the startup command.
If anyone is interested in having a copy, please email me at P.H.Hansen_at_fdsw.no. Received on Mon Dec 05 1994 - 09:48:07 CET

Original text of this message