Re: NOT NULL Constraint

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 2 Dec 1994 02:50:12 GMT

bpearc1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com (Byron Pearce) writes:

>Having a bit of confusion on my under. Under Oralce V7, why is it that you
>can delcare constraints such as UNIQUE, PRIMARY KEY, and FOREIGN KEY as
>out-of-line constraints, but not the NOT NULL constraint? I have tried and
>tried to make this work but with no such luck.

There is no real need for an out-of-line NOT NULL constraint, you can just do an ALTER TABLE MODIFY (.....). The reason that the others can be in table constraint clauses is that they often involve more than one column and a multi-column constraint can't be in a column constraint clause.

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)