Re: Why don't large companies use Ada?

From: Erland Sommarskog <sommar_at_enea.se>
Date: 24 Nov 1994 00:37:19 +0100

Kursten Schuetz (kschuetz_at_vnet.ibm.com) writes:
>Companies which require the flexibility of a 3GL prefer
>to keep their software syntax the same, even if they're trying to make
>the conceptual leap from procedural to object oriented software. This
>is why languages such as C++ are so popular and products such as object
>oriented COBOL even exist.

I guess that the keyword is "trying".

Actually, a company that wishes go from procedural to object-oriented, should be careful, to *not* retain the syntax. (And thus, those who are using Ada83 without an object-oriented view, should switch to C++ or Eiffel.) Why, I leave as an excercise to the reader to find out.

--
Erland Sommarskog, sommar_at_enea.se, Stockholm
Pour qui est-ce qui vous croyez que je parle?