Re: Will Oracle 7.1 run on a mainframe (mvs operating system)?

From: Raymond Everly <reverly_at_ucs01.cfr.usf.edu>
Date: 22 Nov 1994 23:02:30 GMT

In article <19941117.130131.455_at_almaden.ibm.com>, tekennel_at_VNET.IBM.COM says:

>I cannot seem to get answers from Oracle on how to run Oracle 7.1 on
>an mvs mainframe and I would like to hear from people that are actually
>using it.

We bought Oracle SQL NET for MVS and they shipped us the entire suite of MVS products. The Oracle MVS install procedure required that we install everything so we tried the server out to see if it would work and it actually DOES! We are using an IBM 8232 as the TCP/IP gateway and we were actually able to query a database on a Windows NT box from the MVS version of SQL Plus (aka ISQL in IBM lingo). So in theory distributed commits, remote queries etc should work.