Re: call unix shell command within trigger

From: Colin Fraser <cfraser_at_korma.chilli>
Date: 21 Nov 1994 08:17:02 GMT

In Oracle 6/ Forms 3 we do it regularly for background report generation, concurrent text editor displays etc. Use the HOST command and, just as you would in a shell script, suffix the command line with '&' thus:

	HOST("my_unix_command &", no_screen)
                              -

I presume the syntax still works with Forms 4. You might find a slight problem with the normal shell response with the background process number corrupting your screen. The way we get round this is to write a simple shell script e.g.

	#!/bin/sh
	my_unix_command &

and call it from the HOST command without the '&'.

Colin Fraser

#include <std.disclaimer> Received on Mon Nov 21 1994 - 09:17:02 CET

Original text of this message