Re: RI Table Locking Problem

From: Kenneth Ho <kenho_at_hk.super.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 13:08:57 GMT

In article <chriscCz345v.K1x_at_netcom.com> chrisc_at_netcom.com (Chris Cummings) writes:

>Hi,

 [stuff deleted]
>Okay, it is good to know why this is happening, but I fear that we could
>experience performance problems due to index maintenance if we index all
>foreign key columns in our database. We have some tables with more than
>10 foreign key columns.

>Has anyone out there experienced this problem and created the indexes on
>the foreign key columns? Have you experience performance degradation if
>so? I would be very grateful for any suggestions/experiences.

>Thanks in advance,

I am also interested in this question. I always heard that don't create too much indexes on a table because the update/insert time will be increased. But how many indexes can be said to be too much?

Just like this case, the developer is forced to create indexes on foreign keys. If the performance is suffered, who he should blame??? Oracle??

Ken Received on Fri Nov 18 1994 - 14:08:57 CET

Original text of this message