Re: Why don't large companies use Ada?

From: Jeff Reinholz <reinholz_at_SG0D12.sig01>
Date: 14 Nov 1994 22:07:01 GMT

Spending a couple years with ada environments in the defense industry I can add my two cents worth as to how ada go a lousy reputation. One becuase of large object code and ada compiler companies inability to stick to a standard. Secondly because there are a vast number of C programmers and a comparitivly small handful of ada programmers to maintain code. Third that same readablility of code creates a over developed syntax that can be cumbersome in many applications. Forth because of object oriented requirements that ada does not match up with(some say C++ is more object oriented than ada) Similarities with Modulus-2(just kidding). .) I don't think it will ever really gain in popularity, more than it has. Developers are pushing toward a system with a more pure object oriented environment than ada can offer. I.E. Smalltalk. Which is where I would put money the industry will move. Not necessarly Smalltalk but some dirivative. I am certain to catch hell for this from some ada devote's, but for what ada was supposed to do, no one can deny it got off to a bad start. Received on Mon Nov 14 1994 - 23:07:01 CET

Original text of this message