Page #'s spanning reports

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 94 11:25:20 -0600

  • Quoting Mark Cudworth to All dated 11-07-94 ***
    > In our current overnight process, we run a group of reports against our
    > data. The users would like to see the page numbers be continuous
    > throughout
    > these reports, as if they were one large report. (These reports will
    > also be
    > run individually during the day.) Does anyone know of a simple, elegant
    > solution to this problem? I'd like to avoid making a kludge of things
    > if I can...

It would be easier to suggest a solution if we knew what version and software you were using, but the one general approach would be:

  • Have all reports get their INITIAL page number value from a single row single column database table (create a table for this purpose.)
  • Use a post-report trigger to update this value after each report
  • Set the counter to 0 before starting the batch.

Drawbacks: First report is unaware of total pages in the report. Reports cannot be run simultaneously. Difficult to run individual reports (counter must be continually reset.)

To correct these drawbacks, have each report take its initial page number as a PARAMETER, and default to 1. This way, the nightly batch process can use the parameter to coordinate page numbers, and the counter and the parameters can be ignored for the daily report runs. Received on Sun Nov 13 1994 - 18:25:20 CET

Original text of this message