Re: Use of OCI or PRO*C with C++

From: Jannie de Beer GID SSG <debj0113_at_sasoldns>
Date: 10 Nov 1994 12:36:56 GMT

Peter Gross (pgross_at_netcom.com) wrote:
: We are developing a system using C++ and Oracle. There will be a fairly large
: database with multiple client access. Our question: should we use OCI or
: the PRO*C preprocessor? What are the tradeoffs?

I was presented with the same problem a few months ago and decided to go the  OCI route for the following reasons:

  1. The PRO*C language seemed to be foreign to me and I deduced that using it would require learning a new language.
  2. OCI function calls seemed very similar to using Sybase Net*Lib calls with which I was already familiar.
  3. The amount of code for an OCI programmes appeared to be very much the same as would be required to produce the equivalent PRO*C programme, and the precompile step is not required.