Re: HELP me choose a database server!

From: <anton_at_ibm.net>
Date: 6 Nov 1994 16:32:43 GMT

In <dave.384.2EBC5900_at_splat.paxnet.com.au>, dave_at_splat.paxnet.com.au (David Connors) writes:
>Greetings Database Experts,
>

>I have little to no experience in the area of client/server database systems
>and I need some advice on what sort of system I should chose as a back end.
>From what I have heard (and my own experience), Access will be fine for the
>user interface. What sort of server database software should I be looking at?
>What sort of operating environments is it available under? How does
>an NT solution stack up against an OS/2 solution?

There are many more OS/2 DBMS Servers installed than NT servers. Also the OS/2 SMP product runs circles around the NT SMP product. So if you look at an Intel based solution I would suggest OS/2. DB2 for OS/2 support MS Access clients via ODBC. If performance is important then I would also look at static SQL implementations, one thing MS Access and some of the other GUI front-ends don't support at all. In combination with DB2/2, products like VisualAge and VisualGen (both on OS/2) could be an alternative.

There is also a UNIX (AIX) version of DB2: DB2/6000.

Other R-DBMS on OS/2 are: Sybase System10, Oracle, SQLBase, XDB, Ingres, Informix, RBase, etc.

Finally, you seem to have chosen for DOS/Windows clients. Although these might work in your case, it's based on a product (DOS) that's near to be replaced by real 32-bit multitasking Operating Systems like OS/2.

>Thanks very much for your time in answering any of these questions and
>giving me feedback. I realise that this sort of information would probably
>cost a lot if I were to contact a consultant. I will summarise any
>e-mail/posts and repost them.
>
>Cheers,
>

>David Connors dave_at_splat.paxnet.com.au

Anton Versteeg - IBM - via OS/2 WARP 3 - Internet Access Received on Sun Nov 06 1994 - 17:32:43 CET

Original text of this message