Re: Forwarding redo-logs

From: <jpope_at_mojo.europe.dg.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 94 13:04:08 GMT

BARRY ROOMBERG (barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com) wrote:
: -> 3) Redo-logs forwarding (seames to be good, but how to do it ?)
: -> Has some body tried to roll forward redo-logs taken from another
: -> database ? Is it possible to do it ?
: -> These two databases will be identical. Redologs genarated on the
: -> master database should be good for appling them on the slave
: -> database. But how to do it ? Is it possible to roll forward redo logs
: -> without doing recovery ?

: You were close. Put the backup database IN recovery, and roll away.

This is quite easy - we do it on several sites where they want remote system backups, and dont trust scsi-over-fibre products (whcih are generally still too slow for heavy i/o applications).

I have a deamon process on the master database system that watches the archive log directory and waits for a new file to appear. When it does, it compresses the redo file, pumps it over the network to the secondary.

A second deamon on the secondary receives the redo file, and has a controlled shell session open which has called sqldba lmode=y, and is manually giving sqldba redo log files as soon as they become available. Remember when you sync the two systems you need to send a copy of the control file to make Oracle think recovery is neded at all. Received on Fri Nov 04 1994 - 14:04:08 CET

Original text of this message