Semaphores in dual instance problem

From: Simon Holt <holt_at_ntrust.org.uk>
Date: 31 Oct 1994 12:56:19 GMT

Hi all,

        could anyone help me out with this thorny one ?

We have just done an installation of 7.0.16 on our Sun (SunOs 4.1.3), and all appears to be well.

We have our development application on 6.0.30 on the same box, and we are going to be porting this to 7.0 shortly.

At the moment, therefore, I require both an 6.0 instance and a 7.0 instance running at the same time, which should be no problem in theory.

However, this is my problem, I only seem to be able to start ONE instance at a time ! The following is the error I get when trying to start up the second instance (It doesn't matter whether it is the 6.0 or 7.0 coming up second, the error is the same)

SQLDBA> startup
ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set. SunOS Error: 28: No space left on device Additional information: 2
SQLDBA> Now, I've read pages 2-18 and 2-19 of the Oracle server for Unix guide until I know them by heart, and have altered the semaphore paramaters until our sysadmin is about to murder me if I need to re-build the kernel again, but it will not go away. Here are the semaphore paramters I've used, together with the processes required by each Oracle instance:

V6.0	processes = 40
V7.0	processes = 50

SEMMNI		SEMMSL		SEMMNS
 40		 200		 200
100		 200		 200
 40		  75		 200
 40		  75		 900

And none of those work. What is it I'm doing wrong ? Reply by email, and I'll summarise, thanks (if anyone else is interested, that is ..... ;-) )

Simon Holt 			|	Voice:	+44 (0) 1373 826826 x253
(Systems analyst)		|	Inet:	holt_at_ntrust.org.uk
	My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer