Re: Can't connect as SYSTEM user

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 29 Oct 94 20:03:04 EST

In article <1994Oct27.070055.22127_at_news.qut.edu.au>, Andrew Sammut <sammut_at_dstc.qut.edu.au> writes:

> I have just installed the Oracle 7.0.16(server only) on a
> DEC Alpha 3000/500S running OSF/1 2.0.
>
> After following the instructions on the Installation and
> Configuration Manual, I find I am not allowed to login as
> the Oracle SYSTEM user. And I am definitely using the
> correct password.
>
> The ORACLE_SID environment variable has been set to
> what I entered in the installation process. The value
> of ORACLE_SID is LNX.
>
> The following is a copy of a session:
>
> ---start
>
> oracle(-su)# sqldba lmode=y
>
> SQL*DBA: Release 7.0.16.6.1 - Production on Thu Oct 27 16:21:24 1994
>
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992. All rights reserved.
>
> ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.16.6.1 - Production
>
> SQLDBA> connect system/
> Password:
> ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>
> SQLDBA>
>
> ---end
>
> If I don't have the ORACLE_SID environment variable set,
> the following happens:
>
> ---start
>
> oracle(-su)# sqldba lmode=y
>
> SQL*DBA: Release 7.0.16.6.1 - Production on Thu Oct 27 16:52:02 1994
>
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992. All rights reserved.
>
> ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.16.6.1 - Production
>
> SQLDBA> connect system/
> Password:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07200: slsid: oracle_sid not set.
> SQLDBA>
>
> ---end
>
> Has someone encountered the problem where the SYSTEM user
> cannot log in? If so, could you please e-mail me any useful
> tip that you might know?
>
> I have a feeling it has something to do with the /etc/tnsnames.ora
> file, but I have no idea what one is supposed to look like.
> I don't have access to the SQL*Net Admin manual, which I am
> told contains the information about this file.
>
> Waiting in anticipation(anticipation is half the fun!)
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew Sammut

SYSTEM is just like any other normal ORACLE username. You have to specify the correct password to connect. The default password is usually MANAGER.

You may actually be wanting to connect to ORACLE as SYS. SYS is the owner of the data dictionary tables, and is the user that you connect to when you want to start up or shut down the database. To log in as SYS, you use CONNECT INTERNAL inside SQLDBA. To be able to CONNECT INTERNAL, your operating system account must have the ORA_DBA rights identifier (VMS) or be in the 'dba' group (UNIX). I am not familiar with ORACLE on OSF/1, so I don't know if uses the 'dba' group. The Solaris installation procedure asks you for the group that ORACLE should be linked under, with the default being 'dba'.

So, I would suggest using SYSTEM/MANAGER, or trying to connect as SYS.

Good luck!

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285