Re: Financials multiple sets of books

From: Leon Farfel <leon_at_toolcase.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 05:55:57 GMT

In article <gendron-221094002218_at_gendron.hip.cam.org> gendron_at_cam.org (Francois G. Gendron) writes:
> In article <1994Oct15.081826.1_at_mscf.med.upenn.edu>,
> ckratz_at_mscf.med.upenn.edu wrote:
>
> > We're implementing the AP,AR,RA, and GL modules of Oracle Financials
 9.4.
> > We have 2 companies that share calendar, functionaly currency, and chart
> > of accounts, but the users are considering implementing separate sets of
> > books for them anyway, because this is the only way to separate check
> > runs by company and vendor 1099s by company, without customization.
> >
> > I've read the Implementation manual, and know that Oracle suggests NOT
> > implementing multiple sets of books unless you have to, but the
 rationale
> > for this was not given. I know this means 2 sets of tables to maintain,
 and
> > the users know this means 2 sets of customers and vendors. Does anyone
> > have any recommendations on the pros and cons of multiple sets of books,
> > and what other factors we should consider from a functional perspective
> > make a decision?

Just go ahead and do it. It is not more complicated than having one set of books. Create set of books for every "Branch" ( I prefer to call it that way so it wouldn't go in conflict with Oracle's definition of Company). Create consolidation set of books in GL. Set up users to execute responsibilities assigned to their set of books. And after couple of months of serious pain on vital parts from Oracle's bugs and support you will have rather elegant and operational multi-set-of-books system.

   Good luck.

For simple questions send me e-mail.
Leon Farfel
ToolCASE Computing Inc
leon_at_ToolCASE.Com Received on Tue Oct 25 1994 - 06:55:57 CET

Original text of this message