Pro*C: Connecting to Oracle???

From: Henry B. Smith <hbs_at_crl.com>
Date: 24 Oct 1994 13:58:55 -0700

I am experiencing a problem when re-connecting to Oracle using Pro*C.

Oracle version: ORACLE7.
Machine: RS6000/AIX

My program is a daemon. But before it becomes a daemon, I connect to Oracle using the following type of Pro*C call:

  varchar Username[20];

.
.
.

  strcpy(Username.arr, "henry/smith"); /* username and password are */   Username.len = strlen(Username.arr); /* fictitious of course */

  EXEC SQL CONNECT :Username;

Everything is ok. When I do a ps -ef, I notice that the my Oracle process is running with the LOCAL=YES parm. This is ok since the database instance is on the same processor that I am.

After the program becomes a daemon, I disconnect from ORACLE using:

   EXEC SQL COMMIT WORK RELEASE; Still no problem.

However, if I attempt to reconnect to Oracle in the same way, I get an ORA12203 error message which is an SQL*NET error.

If, however, I reconnect with the Username set as "henry/smith_at_oracledb" it connects ok BUT, now it is LOCAL=NO. It has connected to the local db via SQL*NET.

How do I reconnect as a daemon and make it a local connection?

Thanks,

Henry Smith

--
Henry Smith (hbs_at_crl.com)