Re: Connecting with Visual Basic

From: Mark Richter <mrichter_at_oracle.uucp>
Date: 21 Oct 1994 13:18:31 GMT

In article <386gr8$8ok_at_sun.cais.com> sarek_at_cais.cais.com (Scott T Johnson) writes:
>I am working on a project which requires Visual Basic as a front end
>to an Oracle database residing on an HP-UX Server. Can someone
>give me the quick and dirty connection synopsis.

>Do I need SQL*Net for Windows TCP/IP as a transport from the PC
>Workstation to Oracle?

Yes. You purchase this from Oracle.

>Do I use ODBC drivers?

You may. Or you may purchase a product called Oracle Glue from Oracle.

>If so, where can I get them?

ODBC driver is free of charge on CompuServe's Oracle User Group Forum (GO ORACLE). Or you may purchase them for a nominal charge, I think it's $50, directly from Oracle.

>How do you precompile the Visual Basic.

You don't.

>I am C programmer/Oracle DBA and have never used Visual Basic.
>

>Thanks for the time and information,
>Scott

Mark D. Richter              Oracle Corporation, Desktop Products Division
Internet:mrichter_at_us.oracle.com                      CompuServe:70400,3514