Re: Oracle for Windows

From: <dhuet_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 94 10:28:44 EDT

> >Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >The RDBMS is basically a complete Oracle7 implementation, but it
> >is NOT a server(no incoming connections).
> >Oracle Objects (For Windows) is NOT a VB-like app builder.
> >OO4W is a VB Data Control specific to Oracle, an OLE automation
> >server and a C++ class lib(similar objects/methods to VB).
> >>
> So do you need VB to use it or not ?
>
> I was under the impression all I needed to do was
> get the $199 trade-in package and I would be all set.
> The deal sounds less sweet if I need $200 worth of VB
> or $400 worth of MS C++.
>
> If one does need VB, how will the portability be for
> other platforms ?
>
> Whenever someone starts babling about OLE, (MS or others)
> I feel a "portability headache" coming on . . . :)

First of all a disclaimer: I am far from being an expert on the subject of these products; my knowledge is based on what I have read in the computer press. Any comments, opinions, or statements should be considered as my own, and do not reflect the views of my company.

I think there is a lot of confussion going on between Oracle 7 for Windows, Oracle Objects, and Project X:

  • Oracle 7 for windows is a standalone complete version of the Oracle 7 RDBMS with a few utilities and management tools, BUT NO DEVELOPMENT TOOLS.
  • Project X is an object oriented development system that uses a Visual Basic like language and drag and drop interface for building front end or standalone apps. It also includes a small database that allows the storage of up to 200k of data.
  • Oracle Objects gives the object oriented features of Project X to Visual Basic or C++ developers, and replaces ODBC as the interface to the database.

These products are not meant to be the same as CDE porducts i.e. portability is not one of the features or goals. These products are being developed only for MS Windows, Mac's and OS2.

#include <stddisclaim.h> Received on Fri Oct 21 1994 - 15:28:44 CET

Original text of this message