Re: ORACLE AND UNIX QUESTION

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 00:22:22 GMT

In article <781732152snz_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk> tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk writes:
>In article <781720147snz_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>
> psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk "Paul Beardsell" writes:
>
>> In article <2aa.553.846%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br>
>> Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br "Carlos Netto" writes:
>>
>the resilience and speed goodies). BTW, to answer the point earlier on in
>the thread about overwriting your partitions with filesystems, the way to
>stop this is to set permissions rw-r----- oracle,dba on the device nodes
>(character and block) for the partition. This way, only the DBA and the
>server processes can do stuff to the partition. And the DBA can't edit
>/etc/vfstab, right?
>--

Well, anything you do won't work, 'cause you don't know what the DBA knows. Often in a small system, there won't be anyone there, they expect the DBA to know everything. So they say, "here's the root password, fix my database." That's a good suggestion though - someone has to put some thought into changing the permissions to screw it up. So you don't have to worry about some DBA who doesn't know anything about unix screwing up... hey, wait a minute! The owner is exactly the person who might not know enough about it! :)

The wonders of portability! :)

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.