Re: Triggers Problem

From: Larry J Lennhoff <llenn_at_dbsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 20:36:36 GMT

In article <37sju7$162c_at_locutus.rchland.ibm.com> kmill_at_hawkeyes.rchland.ibm.com (Kent Milligan) writes:
>From: kmill_at_hawkeyes.rchland.ibm.com (Kent Milligan)
>Subject: Re: Triggers Problem
>Date: 17 Oct 1994 01:27:35 GMT

>I think your response on Oracle not having enough time
>to provide a "complete" triggers solution is right. Other
>RDBMS (ie-DB2/400) do support row-level triggers without
>any silly restrictions like "mutating tables".

I just talked to an Oracle Corp consultant who is on site, and I have raised this issue in the past with an Oracle Corp instructor. Both insist the "mutating tables" restriction is basic to the way triggers work in Oracle, and neither believe it will EVER go away.

I note that Oracle 7.1 tightens the mutating table restriction. In 7.0, the trigger could call a stored procedure which did something to the table. In 7.1 this is no longer the case. So I wouldn't be surprised if the view workaround discussed in an earlier post went away eventually as well.

Larry

  • In theory, there is no difference between *
  • theory and practice. In practice, there is. * llenn_at_dbsoftware.com