Re: Forms4-Programming-Style

From: Terry Greenlaw <z50816_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com>
Date: 5 Oct 1994 11:35:48 GMT

In article <781015117_at_f573.n115.z1.ftn>, you write:
> *** Quoting Juergen Degenhardt to All dated 09-29-94 ***

[Issues about globals deleted for brevity ...]

> Not only is it unprofessional, it is a VERY bad idea. Apart from being very
> poor practice to begin with, even if they are used perfectly (and this is rare)
> they cause problems. Parameter lists are the appropriate vehicle for
> communicating between forms; if parameter lists are not adequate, then serious
> thought should be given to the design.

Some caveats about parameters, though.

  1. Results from a called form cannot be returned using parameters.
  2. Parameters are still unstable w.r.t. memory in 4.0.12
  3. Using parameters as bind variables to cursors is highly unreliable in 4.0.12 (sorry, I don't have our bug number handy on this one).

Until Oracle

  1. Picks between record groups and arrays as a metaphor for structured data.
  2. Implements their choice in all of the CDE tools (including SQL*Plus).
  3. Allows passing of the structures bidirectionally between the tools.

then none of these mechanisms (IMHO) are "appropriate vehicles".

We have been using DB pipes for data exchange between Oracle processes. It involves more setup than most other data passing scheme, but seems fairly reliable. Has anyone run into problems with DB pipes in processes that run for extended periods of time?

Terry Greenlaw (on-site) z50816_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com Encompass Technologies greenlaw_at_crl.com

FRM-47111: Cannot copy value to item <name>

    Cause: You tried to use the copy built-in on an image item.    Action: Find some other way to copy or reproduce the data. Received on Wed Oct 05 1994 - 12:35:48 CET

Original text of this message