Re: SYSTEM tablespace grows...

From: Sam Nelson <sam_at_cs.stir.ac.uk>
Date: 4 Oct 1994 11:14:16 GMT

In article <1994Oct2.195819.11210_at_ericsson.se>, ebcrbj_at_ebcw150.ericsson.se (BO/EBC/KX/RGFC Roger Bjaerevall 08-682 4851) writes:
> Why does our SYSTEM tablespace grow in size even if we're only replacing
> existing stored procedures?

I did the DB7A course only a few weeks ago, and distinctly remember being told that in some circumstances space in SYSTEM isn't reclaimed (very often) when it's theoretically freed in order to reduce the tendency for the tablespace to fragment. The obvious case of this is where you drop a tablespace and DBA_TABLESPACES shows `INVALID' in the `STATUS' column rather than the row for that tablespace disappearing completely. Next time you add a tablespace the row is reused, I understood (at least, that was how I saw it). I dunno how stored procedures are stored, but it's my best guess and it's at least consistent!

--
SAm.                              -- (Insert bandwidth-wasting disclaimer here)