Re: Chaining in Oracle 6.0 - How to detect

From: Carl Churchman <Carl_at_carlc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 21:56:57 +0000

In article: <36hfft$4im_at_lll-winken.llnl.gov> jcl_at_altair.csustan.edu writes:

> I was wondering if there was a way to list or analyze chaining
> in Oracle v 6.0. I know v 7.0 has the analyze command. Any suggestions
> or ideas etc. would be appreciated. Thanks John Landers.
> jcl_at_altair.csustan.edu

You can run queries against V$STATNAME and V$SYSSTAT tables to moitor the number of chained rows, since last startup. Try executing the following:

SELECT SUBSTR (ST.NAME,1,40), SY.VALUE, SY.STATISTIC#    FROM V$STATNAME ST, V$SYSSTAT SY
   WHERE ST.STATISTIC# = SY.STATISTIC#
   AND ST.NAME = 'table fetch continued row';

To display the results, issue query:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table;

   where table is table name returned from first query.

If you repeat the first query and compare the results, you can see the number of chained rows from the variation.

Hope this helps :-)

Carl Churchman
<carl_at_carlc.demon.co.uk> Received on Sat Oct 01 1994 - 22:56:57 CET

Original text of this message