Re: 100MB Import in 10 hours?

From: Geoff Coleman <geoff_at_ugc.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 03:53:10 GMT

In article <e4VaTc1w165w_at_vllyoak.resun.com>, Jeff Perry <jp_at_vllyoak.resun.com> wrote:
>Using Oracle 7.0.13.1, under Unix SVr4. An import of a 100MB dump file
>takes around 10 hours to complete. System is a Unisys U6000/65 with four
>100MHZ i486 processors, three SCSI buses. Database, online redo logs, and
>import file are all separate drives. System had minimal workload besides
>that of import. Archive mode was off.
>
>At first glance, does ten hours seem too long for this import??? If so,
>any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

        This is way to long. We can import a couple of Gbytes in that time. Rule 1 on importing large data is to make sure that all indexes have been deleted that pertain to the data being imnported. Create the data first and then index it.

Geoff Coleman Received on Thu Sep 29 1994 - 04:53:10 CET

Original text of this message