Re: VT220 DO key emulation using NCSA Telnet

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 13 Sep 1994 10:00:33 -0400

What we ended up doing was moving to the Universal Terminal Definition. We had some users on NCSA telnet acting like VT220 and other who were dialing in from home or using other telnet packages that only supported VT100 or something else.

The UTD allows just about any terminal that understands VT100 escape sequences (including X-terminal sessions) to be used without having to worry about the key mappings. All of the keys in the UTD are combinations of ^X ^Z ^U and some other keys. For example, Accept/Commit is ^X A and Exit is ^X E

Just about any keyboard can produce these codes. They are a bit strange, but one gets used to them . . .

Depending on your Oracle version and platform, the UTD may be in one of several places. For my Oracle 6 install on SunOS, we found it in the ncdsunu.r resource file. So we run our tools like so:

     sqlforms30 -c ncdsunu:utd

or

     sqlreport -c ncdsunu:utd

I have an ASCII file with all of the important key mappings listed out in columns if anyone wants it.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Tue Sep 13 1994 - 16:00:33 CEST

Original text of this message