Re: Write to a file

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 7 Sep 94 13:12:13 +1000

In article <34ieqb$j0_at_tcsi.tcs.com>, madhu_at_tcs.com (Madhu Gopinathan) writes:
> Hi,
> How to write the rows retrieved in a SELECT statement
> to a file(in a PROC program)? (similar to UNLOAD in Informix)

In SQL*Plus you would use the SPOOL command but from Pro*C you would simply have to retrieve each row, format it the way you want it and write it to a file. Use ARRAY processing feature to reduce FETCHes and speed up the task.

> How to reload a table from a file? (similar to LOAD or dbload in INFORMIX)

You can either use the SQL*Loader product OR from Pro*C you simply read the file, retrieve the various column fields and use a SQL statement to insert each row into the database. Again, use ARRAY processing to speed things up.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras