ORATERM New Devices

From: Chaz Sliger <chaz_at_atlas.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 23:17:07 GMT

	I need to know how to properly construct a terminal
	definition file.  The book that comes with oraterm
	basically avoids this issue altogether.  Any help
	would be greatly appreciated.

	1. In the document 103949.872 by Sharon Zheng she states
	   "Oracle doesn't support any kind of emulation"
	   What does this mean?  It seems to suggest that you cannot
	   fully define a device using oraterm.

	2. The attribute definitions seem to leave many things
	   undefined. A case in point is the vt220 definition.
	   If you look at the attribute mapping for oraterm/vt220
	   you will notice that it does not seem to provide for
	   how the screen is scrolled up when you move down beyond
	   the lowest line on the screen.
	   I would have expected to see a product attribute mapped
	   to a series of device commands that would do things like
	   define a scrolling region, clear the region, and position
	   the cursor in the upper left corner of the region.
	   These details seem not to be explicitly defined.

	3. Is there a document that tells how a new device can be
	   defined and mapped to a product?
	   For instance, how did someone define the vt100 device
	   and then map it to oraterm such that it worked
	   completely?

	4. None of the people that I am dealing with connect to
	   the databse via a terminal connected to the system.
	   All of them do so via a PC running a terminal emulation
	   package of some kind.
	   Assuming that I have a full description of what the
	   PC software is going to transmit for each key and what
	   command sequences are necessary to manipulate the
	   display, should I not be able to make forms/menu work?

	Regards,
		Chaz Sliger    chaz_at_atlas.com

	Chaz Sliger		"Let the rough side drag,
	Portland, OR		 Let the smoot side show..."