Re: create account with id & password same as unix

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 31 Aug 1994 20:48:45 GMT

PM Wong (s11976_at_ctsc.hkbc.hk) wrote:
: Sorry for this trivial question. (The manual explanation is not too
: clear)
: Can I create account for oracle (we run Ver 6.0.31 on AIX) such that the
: id is same as the unix user-id and the password is automatically obtained
: from that of the unix. In other words, the user will go into oracle
: without typing username and password (for sqlplus, sqlforms30 .... etc).
: How do I create such accounts and passwords for oracle with such.

Yes, you can create so called OPS$ accounts. So if you have a Unix user called 'pete', you can create an Oracle user called 'ops$pete', and now Pete will be able to login to Oracle by providing '/' as connect string.

In Oracle7 you can actually chose what to use instead of 'ops$'.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---