Re: Optimization question

From: Alex Stebletsov <alex_at_ncbol.msk.su>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 09:30:43 GMT

Pete Kuba (pkuba_at_cnj.digex.net) wrote:
: The company that I'm working for has Oracle 7.0.13 running on SCO Unix on
: a 486/66 w/ 32Mb. If there are more than a few users logged on,
: performance starts to really lag. Since I'm a programmer and not a dba
: (and since the company doesn't want to pay a dba), I'm wondering how to
: answer my boss' question, "what do we need make things fast?"

Add more memory and expand SGA. Try to set tunable parameters in init.ora file to 'large' model.

My screwings with Oracle 6 on SCO ODT 3 showed up that moving onto raw partitions doesn't add alot of performance.

If feeding simms doesn't help, your next step could be upgrade to Pentium.

-Alex Stebletsov.

--
7-095-970-2231W1,2,#