Re: Automatic Notification of New DB Entries

From: Bart <bart_at_thunderstone.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 18:30:05 GMT

In article <33a5bq$k8v_at_news1.digex.net> ashore_at_access1.digex.net (Arnold Shore) writes:

>Background: I'm assisting a friend whose organization is coming onto the
>Net. Key applications is a full-text database which we will available to
>'net and other users. (A Z39.50 implementation is certainly a natural
>here, and we're considering that.)
>
>Point at hand: We're considering supporting 'standing' search requests as
>a service to users. Such requests would be run against new/arriving
>documents as these enter the data base. Matches would result in
>automatically-generated e-mail to the interested party, with notification
>of title, author, keywords/subjects matched, etc.
>
>Problem: But running each standing query against each new record/document
>would be a real machine-eater, and we're looking for a better way to
>accomplish that.
>
>Possible solution: We've found a software product, LMDS, that will do this
>nicely with some moderate integration effort.
>
>Question: But there have to be others, and I'm interested in hearing from
>anyone working this field who might be familiar with the problem and other
>solutions.

We have a tremendous amount of experience with "real-time" text retrieval and profiling databases ( Dow Jones TeleRate News, Reuters Smart-Investor, IDD News, and many Govt. Apps.). For more information see:

(mosaic) http://iris.thunderstone.com or (gopher) gopher://thunder.thunderstone.com

BTW, if you are thinking of profiling Usenet News or RFC 822 mail we already have the bridges available.

P. Barton Richards ( Bart )

Thunderstone Software / EPI, Inc.             Phone: 216-631-8544
11115 Edgewater Dr.                           Fax  : 216-281-0828
Cleveland, Ohio 44102                         Email: bart_at_thunderstone.com