Question on Profiling Oracle Reports

From: Kenneth Ho <kenho_at_hk.super.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 11:17:47 GMT

Hi, Oracle gurus,

I was assigned a task to optimize several reports written in Oracle Reports 2.0, running under MS Windows. I am puzzled by the following scenario:

Assume the elapsed time for both report is the same, which one is better in performance:

Report 1

Oracle report time          99%
Oracle time                       1%

Report 2

Oracle report time           44%
Oracle time                      56%

From my observation, report 2 displays faster than report 1 in the previewer (What I means is it takes less time to display the last page of a report).

Report 1 has used a formula to populate several placeholder fields and Report 2 has used a big SELECT statement, including subqueries.

Any pointer will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Kenneth Ho
Programmer
Hospitality Data Resources Ltd., H.K. Received on Fri Aug 19 1994 - 13:17:47 CEST

Original text of this message