Re: SQL*Net replacement

From: Alastair Newson <anewson_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 13:46:15 GMT

> ... windows ... I'd be really wowwed if I could talk to any database
 server/platform
> from any client.

SQL*Net is the session layer in the ISO model. It's the path over which Oracle servers and clients talk with their own protocol. It sits one above the transport layer, which is probably TCP if your using a PC. 'Open' server/client connectivity is in the realms of the 'middleware' software. ODBC is the standard from MS. You write your SQL in 'ODBC SQL' and then it can be fired at any database that has an ODBC drive. Good theory, technically its still a bit of a dogs dinner.

Oracle's offerring is 'Oracle Glue'. Again this is a connectivity product. I'm not sure how much of it has been implemented. The marketing blurb shows connectivity to all major database vendors, and the Sharp Wizard! It also has connectivity to MAPI and ODBC! You can connect VB to Oracle using Glue + SQL*net + TCP/IP comms stack. What you may what to consider is whether you are just connecting clients to servers, or whether you want to combine data from various disparate servers. If you want to combine data from multiple sources (we're combining Turbo Image with Oracle) this can be done on the server side using the Oracle connectivity products. The hard work of combining and filter data is done by the server with the beef, and not the client.

   Alastair Newson                     'When the best leader's work is
done, Technical Projects Manager                    the people say, Glaxo
Pharms UK Ltd                        "We did it ourselves!"'
44-81-990-3023 Received on Thu Aug 18 1994 - 15:46:15 CEST

Original text of this message