Re: Multiprocessing: Oracle 7 & Solaris 2.3. How much?

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 17 Aug 1994 19:59:02 GMT

Chao-Ping Chien (pchien_at_localhost.nor.hookup.net) wrote:
: I have a question? how does it impact to I/O system. since there is
: more CPU then there can be more I/O to disk, Is this gonna cause I/O
: buttle neck.

Of course if you use anything like Oracle7 Release 7.1 Parallel Query, and you have only one disk containing all data, disk I/O will be a bottleneck. Features like Parallel Operations are only useful if you have enough disk bandwidth, so have multiple (fast) disks and controllers and spread the data over your disks.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---