Re: 200% reliable media => NOARCHIVELOG ??

From: Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 1994 14:01:17 GMT

alex_at_ncbol.msk.su (Alex Stebletsov) writes:

>Gentlemen,

>I understand this is a FAQ, but anyway:

>if I have 200% reliable media (like failt-tolerant RAID), i.e.
>media failures are absolutely impossible, may I operate
>Oracle in NOARCHIVELOG mode ?? (considering Oracle 6)

>With regards,
>Alex Stebletsov
>alex_at_ncbol.msk.su
>Moscow Russia
>--
>... whatever I said, my employer disagrees ...

Alex,

operating your database in ARCHIVELOG mode gives you these extras:

  • you can perform hot backups (while the database is open)
  • you can do point-in-time and cancel-based recovery

da sviedanja

Andre van Winssen
Holland

--
Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Ideta b.v., Frankemaheerd 6, 1102 AN Amsterdam, the Netherlands