Is NT Server or Netware a decent platform to run Oracle or Sybase on?

From: Glenn Engelbart <sibelius_at_paris.alpha.net>
Date: 10 Aug 1994 22:14:38 -0500

My boss wants to go completely with Microsoft as a c/s option. The configuration is something like:

A Pentium running NT (advanced) server with MS SQL server,  $12,000.
486 workstations running Windows for Workgroups,            $1,200.
Visual Basic Professional with some cool tools like Q&E     $1,000.
total                                                       $14,200.

Someone has informed me that Oracle and Sybase run around $13-$15 with say Oracle tools (included in $13,000) Powerbuilder($3,300 or Gupta SQL Windows. $4,000)

My impression is that the Oracle or Sybase would blow away the MS solution, but while my boss might budge on the DB front and back end, he wants to run NT and not Unix. He might be willing to consider NetWare, however. I guess his main reason for going with Microsoft is that we sell the SBT accounting package, which is written in FoxPro for Windows, and so NT or Netware are the only real non peer to peer options for SBT. Where do Oracle, Sybase, SQL Windows, and Powerbuilder fit into this picture as far as programming our own custom apps go? Will the back ends run on NT or Netware? Will I need all kinds of expensive middleware to connect my Windows tools to Oracle or Sybase? I guess this is my question, does my boss's decision to go with the all MS solution make the most sense? Is the all MS solution the cheapest solution?

Thanks,

            Glenn Engelbart sibelius_at_execpc.com Received on Thu Aug 11 1994 - 05:14:38 CEST

Original text of this message