Re: beta testing Oracle7 Windows

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 9 Aug 94 08:09:44 +1000

In article <324pns$da6_at_pellew.ntu.edu.au>, COOK_R_at_vax1.ntu.edu.au (Robbie Cook) writes:

> Can anyone provide some concrete info on the state of this release?

Nobody is giving dates, so far.

> To date I have read that a beta release is out and that the product should
> be out last quarter 1994.
>
> I contacted Oracle Australia but they were unable to provide any info. I
> have also tried to email a couple of poster's but have not received a reply.
>
> Specifically :
>
> Is a beta release available or will be made available in Australia?
> Is the product release date late 1994 worldwide .. ie include Australia?
> What sort of price are we looking at?
>
> If anyone can help out, it would be greatly appreciated. If not can anyone
> provide a contact at Oracle.

All I've heard is that it is a CLIENT ONLY database with parallel server and stored procedures and 2-phase commit built in.

CLIENT ONLY in that it can have and use database links to data stored in other databases but it won't allow other databases to access it's data. They have disabled the sql*net driver in some way to achieve. Sounds WRONG to me but that's what I heard.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras