How did they do that?

From: S. Xu <mbsxu_at_s-crim1.dl.ac.uk>
Date: 1 Aug 1994 14:44:43 GMT

Hi, Everyone,

   When you are using SQL*Menu, you must have noticed that some items, such as Menu, Procedure, are not available directly when you just login to SQL*Menu. These items on the top of the screen are not shown in bold. However, when you have selected one application through either new or open submenu from action item, these items are active and they are displayed in bold.

   It seems to me that when we select new or open, a SQL*Forms form is called and it asks for the name of the working menu application and then the access priviledge of the menu item is reset so that we can use other menu items to continue our work.

   SQL*Menu mentions how to override previously defined access priviledge through two packaged procedures, ENABLE_ITEM and DISABLE_ITEM. They can be used in PL/SQL and in SQL*Forms triggers. However the form trigger can only change the CURRENT menu of the form but not the menu which calls the form as it is done in SQL*Menu starting menu. It seems doing this needs two steps: step one, calling the form and obtaining the name of working menu application; step two, change the access priviledge using those two packaged procedures.

   The problem is that within Menu there is no easy way to do these two steps together. Can anyone tell me how they do that?

   Thanks in advance

Shilin

 Department of Informatics |      "w/%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%\w"     m ***|
 National Institute for    |        `Y""Y""Y"""""Y""Y""Y'       m-----
    Biological Standards   |     p-p_|__|__|_____|__|__|_q-q    m
      and Control          | _-[EEEEM==M==MM===MM==M==MEEEE]-_.m.......
 Blanche Lane, Potters Bar |
 Hertfordshire  EN6 3QW    |   email:  xu_at_comp.nibsc.ac.uk
 England                   |   voice:  +44 707 654753 ext 286