Report Formatter Wanted

From: William Walker <bill_at_phhuk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 15:40:27 +0000

I am looking for a flexible report formatter to format data which has been retrieved from a Sybase database.

What I am actually doing is extracting raw data from the database using a combination of SQL and other processing in C. This data is written to a flat file and represents the data required for one report for one customer. Thus if 10 customers required report A there will be 10 files.

The data for some of the reports is particularly complicated to extract which is one of the reasons I am not trying to use a report writer to do everything.

The format of the flat file may contain control, header and transaction information etc. which is comma delimited.

My requirement is for a tool to read the file and output it into a pre-defined format. An example report may be an invoice or a statement showing a breakdown of the services supplied by PHH during a period.

I would like any derived data such as totals to be added by the formatter so they don't have to be in the flat file.

The requirements for the formatter are :

  • it must be able to run on a Sun Sparc
  • it must allow different fonts etc. to be used and printed
  • ideally it should be capable of producing (or embedding) graphs
  • it must be fairly fast to cater for high-ish volumes

Has anyone come across a product which may satisfy this requirement ?

Thanks in advance

--
bill

William Walker          | PHH Europe PLC
bill_at_phhuk.demon.co.uk  |
0793-884807             |