Re: large database loading

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 08:57:35 CET

In article <7912_at_dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil>, nfm1556_at_dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Steven R Jackson) says:

>We are starting a new project to load an Oracle
>database on a Sunsparc from flat files. The
>design is being done in case tools which will generate the
>ddl.
>Has anyone any ideas on the quickest way to load very large
>databases? Will loader handle this in a reasonable time?
>
>Could the 7.1 parallel option be of help?

The Parallel Query Option is described in the Summer edition of ORACLE MAGAZINE. The documentation for ORACLE7.1 (including Parallel Query Option) is available on ORACLE PRODUCT DOCUMENTATION LIBRARY CD (V 1.0.4 May 1994) Ýsvadd.obd - ORACLE7 Server Documentation¨

The Parallel Query Option CAN improve SQL*Loader performance as well as index building performance.

However, improvements (or otherwise) are largely dependent on your hardware/operating system configuration

   e.g. A SMP (symmetric multiprocessor) - possibly a large improvement

          Ýnot heavily loaded¨               in performance
          A single processor system        - possibly a decrease in
          Ýwith a 'heavy' workload¨          performance

Anyway, get hold of the documentation if you can, then you can assess the possible benefits/drawbacks of your particular configuration.

Regards, Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.